Also known as crabs in a bucket mentality, CM is a widely used term given to people who always try to pull others down from succeeding in life and getting ahead of them.
The phrase “if I can’t have it, neither can you” best describe them.
This refers to a pattern of behavior noted in crabs when they are trapped in a bucket. While any one crab could easily escape, its efforts will be undermined by others, ensuring the group’s collective demise.
The analogy in human behavior is claimed to be that members of a group will attempt to reduce the self-confidence of any member who achieves success beyond the others, out of envy, resentment, spite, conspiracy, or competitive feelings, to halt their progress.
People with crab mentality are everywhere. You can encounter them on social media, where they are always busy criticizing, instead of appreciating the news and stories about the achievements of others.
Attribute as this does not promote unity, humility and responsibility.
Below are some of the signs that can be seen on anyone who is having this unfavorable quality:
- They are too proud of themselves and treat others as inferior beings.
- They panic when their friends are happy and improving.
- They are full of positivity for themselves but full of negativity for others.
- They blame their friends for their failures rather than help them.
- They treat their friends as competitors.
- They will never admit that they have a crab mentality.
Having identified some of the signs associated with those guilty of the bad quality, please find below some of the ways to overcome these mentality:
- Admit it. Don’t worry. We’re all guilty of jealousy, insecurity and selfishness… at least sometimes in our lives.
- Open your mind and know other people better. Take note that knowing is the beginning of loving. Don’t judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes.
- Be cheerful. Have some calmness, positivity and joy in life. Don’t spend most of your time panicking because some are getting better while you’re not. Instead, be happy about their progress, and celebrate their success.
- Be a leader. If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
This mentality or attitude will not help us or our country move forward and achieve lasting progress. Let us be the change we wish to see in the world.